Saturday, April 17, 2010

Introduction

HEY! Just wanted to say a little about me. I am a Christian and a single parent to 2 boys ages 3 and 6. My oldest attended preschool and Kindergarten in a public school. By the middle of his kindergarten year, I was feeling unsatisfied with his progress and also that I had no idea what they were even doing in class. Even after volunteering for 2-3 months, I still felt completely out of the loop. I had thought about homeschooling a lot, even before he started kindergarten. I thought how can I homeschool and be a single parent. I had been applying for jobs and not a single one called back. And I knew that I would not be able to afford childcare. I talked to a friend who homeschools and started praying. This was April 2009. In May, we had his IEP (Individual Education Plan) meeting. They had tested him and that he was right where he needed to be and was even testint as a 1st grade level in math. He had been getting in trouble because he has a very short attention span. I mentioned I was thinking about homeschooling. And they tried to persuade me out of it and told me all these things that I "had" to do first. Right there I felt the Lord telling me and confirming my desire to homeschool was in His will. We registered with Family Christian Academy and my church helped me to purchase books.
We started school on August 3, 2009. We had a very rough start; crying, yelling, complete frustration. After 2 months we got into a routine. He has progressed so well and reads so good. We finished 1st grade math and science by december and finished his phonics last month. all his work is at a 2nd grade level or above. We are also learning German and Spanish. He loves language. he has grown and learned so much this past year. The LORD has truly blessed me with this gift.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm a blogger. (Always makes me think of the old Ray Steven's song I'm a logger) I have two blogs:

    www.thebargainwoman.com a coupon site
    www.heart-toward-home.com which is my personal blog about my walk with Christ and homemaking and motherhood.

    Great to see you doing this. I'll follow and check it out. I plan to homeschool so I follow lots of homeschooler's in the hopes I can learn something. I'll share some of the sites with you later when I get time.

    See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete